a place to call Home
City of Harlan
Education in Harlan
Quite simply, Harlan has one of the more successful K-12 school systems in the State of Iowa, academically, athletically and otherwise! Harlan Community Schools are among the state's leaders in combining a top-quality academic education with a wide variety of successful extracurricular activities.
Harlan Community Schools are among the state's leaders in combining a top-quality academic education with a wide variety of successful extracurricular activities.
Over 110 teachers, 101 support staff and seven administrators work with a present enrollment of 1,689 students. The school district covers 279 square miles and includes the communities of Corley, Defiance, Earling, Harlan, Jacksonville, Panama, Portsmouth and Westphalia.
Voters overwhelmingly approved the construction of a new $5.89 million, 64,500 square foot middle school located next to the high school. And more recently, Harlan votes approved the building of a New Elementary/school.
The school system ranks as one of the state's finest for some of the following reasons:
- Over 70% of HCHS's graduates pursue advanced education
- Flexible Education Center for non-traditional students
- Talented and Gifted Programs
- Over $100,000 in scholarships available annually from local businesses and foundations
- Work study programs available to seniors through a cooperative agreement with Iowa Western Community College (up to 27 hours of college credit available)
- PC Computer labs in all buildings, Internet Access and Iowa Communications Network Fiber optic classroom
Harlan Community Schools have educational opportunities for handicapped children and adults.
Historic Merrill Field where the Harlan Cyclones have dominated
Class 3A Football for the past 30 years, with 10 State Championships
Shelby County Catholic Schools (St Michael's In Harlan, St Joseph's in Earling and St. Mary's in Panama) provide parochial schooling for graces K-8 and pre-school.
At the Harlan campus of Iowa Western Community College, a wide variety of academic programs are available including a two-year associate degree. IWCC Harlan Campus can be reached at 712-755-3568.