a place to call Home
City of Harlan
Education in Harlan
Quite simply, Harlan has one of the more successful K-12 school systems in the State of Iowa, academically, athletically and otherwise! Harlan Community Schools are among the state's leaders in combining a top-quality academic education with a wide variety of successful extracurricular activities. We are also proud to be the home of Shelby County Catholic Schools and the FISH Home School Coop.
Harlan Community Schools are among the state's leaders in combining a top-quality academic education with a wide variety of successful extracurricular activities.
Over 110 teachers, 101 support staff and seven administrators work with a present enrollment of 1,689 students. The school district covers 279 square miles and includes the communities of Corley, Defiance, Earling, Harlan, Jacksonville, Panama, Portsmouth and Westphalia.
Voters overwhelmingly approved the construction of a new $5.89 million, 64,500 square foot middle school located next to the high school. And more recently, Harlan votes approved the building of a New Elementary/school.
The school system ranks as one of the state's finest for some of the following reasons:
- Over 70% of HCHS's graduates pursue advanced education
- Flexible Education Center for non-traditional students
- Talented and Gifted Programs
- Over $100,000 in scholarships available annually from local businesses and foundations
- Work study programs available to seniors through a cooperative agreement with Iowa Western Community College (up to 27 hours of college credit available)
- PC Computer labs in all buildings, Internet Access and Iowa Communications Network Fiber optic classroom
Harlan Community Schools have educational opportunities for handicapped children and adults.
Historic Merrill Field where the Harlan Cyclones have dominated
Class 3A Football for the past 30 years, with 10 State Championships
Shelby County Catholic School
Since the first Catholic school opened in 1884, Catholic education has been a cherished tradition in Shelby County. Shelby County Catholic School, built upon a rich history, continues to provide a faith-based, rigorous education to educate the whole child.
- Students can attend from preschool through sixth grade.
- Students grow spiritually, academically, and socially in an ever-changing world.
Students participate in:
- Challenging academics and STEM infused curriculum
- Hands-on and technology-based lessons
- Religion classes daily
- Mentoring and leadership opportunities
- Service projects
- Student-led liturgies and prayer services
Each student is provided with a Chromebook in the classroom.
For information, please contact:
Shelby County Catholic School
2005 College Place
Harlan, IA 51537
Visit our webpage at
www.shelcocath.pvt.k12.ia.us or find us on Facebook .
F.I.S.H Home School Coop
F.I.S.H. Home Schooling Coop has a number of groups meeting regularly in the Harlan area.
At the Harlan campus of Iowa Western Community College, a wide variety of academic programs are available including a two-year associate degree. IWCC Harlan Campus can be reached at 712-755-3568.